[xubuntu-users] partition intermittently mounts: dying hard drive or bug?

JMZ florentior at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 08:25:54 UTC 2017

  Hi,

My external hard drive tends, on occasion, to spontaneously unmount a
logical partition.  Sometimes, the partition does not mount at all.
Usually, going back and manually mounting the partition is fine.  I'm
wondering: is this a hardware or software problem?  Something tells me I
should just do a final backup, brick the drive, and just start over.
Though maybe the current drive can be salvaged (it's only four years old
-- do drives die that fast now?).

Jordan