[xubuntu-users] shell tools

Benjamin P. August bigbenaugust at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 12:17:54 UTC 2017

In some worlds it was /opt and others it was /usr/local that got used for
extra packages.
But Solaris (SysV based) used /opt, and once upon a time it was the #1
proprietary UNIX.

On Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 2:06 AM, Ulli Horlacher <
framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> On Mon 2017-01-09 (22:33), Peter Flynn wrote:
>
> > I must have been off-planet when /opt got "standardised"...I still don't
> > know where it came from.
>
> SysV UNIX
>

> > Possibly one of the most unnecessary changes ever to affect Linux.
>
> It is a good idea. You can place an optional software package in a single
> directory and do not have to spread it over /etc /usr/bin /lib ...
>
> --
> Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
> Rechenzentrum TIK
> Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
> Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
> 70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
> REF:<759e06e1-e311-150c-435e-652638567eec at silmaril.ie>

--Ben
Benjamin P. August - Chapel Hill, NC - @bigbenaugust1 -
https://github.com/bigbenaugust

"A party without cake is just a meeting."
  --Julia Child