[xubuntu-users] A side divagation Re: The Devil's Advocate

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Thu Aug 24 17:05:49 UTC 2017

On 07/14/2017 09:32 AM, Joao Monteiro wrote:
> OK. I need to make a little detour to see if I can convey what I wish
> to express in sensible terms.
>
>  [snip]
>
> Windows and linux users are of both types alike. With one major
> difference...
>
> In linuxland, much richer of adventurous and inquisitive types, the
> comfort-zone traditionalists are such by their own choice and volition.
>
> In windowsland however, the adventurous and inquisitive types have little
> if any choice but to remain traditionalist, because the very nature of
> windowsland "molds" and brain washes them into such a state of acceptance,
> by not giving them any other choice.
>
> Then, of course, their inquisitive and adventurous natures sooner or later
> start to have claustrophic panic attacks... and yet, they are conditioned
> to believe that they have no choice.
>
> Another peculiarity about humans, is a sickening and almost unconscious
> collective social tendency to stigmatization and stupid prejudice.
>
> So. All the above said, here's the crunch...
>
> I'm very reluctant and worried to mention that the distro that I would like
> to see acting as a safe bridge for windowers to transition to linuxers, is
> already out there and I can't think of any better one.
>
> Because the moment I name it, human tendencies kick in and prejudice and
> stigmatization will hit it from linuxland, by automatically starting to
> diminish it, and ostracize it as a "lesser distro", a traitor of sorts to
> linux, a "muggle" in the wizardry world.
>
> And yet, the truth is that it is actually a fabulous piece of software
> wizardry and a testament to its creators' skills, understanding of the
> balance between practicality and user needs, and creativity.
>
> I'm of course talking of xubuntu with xfce.

<chuckle>
A few years ago when wanting to escape Microsoft, I was referred to
Ubuntu [don't recall then current version].
For me Canonical had the same problem as Microsoft - they both
essentially promoted a "one true way" ;/
They underlying cause was the same for both - desire to match PERCEIVED
of their perceived target audience.
I found that Debian was ~parent of Ubuntu. Investigation showed how my
desired goals could be accomplished straight forwardly. It is an
extension of your earlier comment that Linux users are more adventurous
than typical Windows user. At that time Debian had an appeal for more
peculiar user.
I found that Gnome2 gave me what I liked from Win3.1 that was no longer
available in current Windows releases. I currently find Mate meets my
needs/desires.

IOW I basically agree with you.