[xubuntu-users] editing applications menu?

fred roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 15:19:59 UTC 2016

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 11:02 AM, Ulli Horlacher <
framstag at rus.uni-stuttgart.de> wrote:

> I want to modify the application menu (Xubuntu 16.04).
> When I call Setting->"Menu Editor" the program menulibre is started.
> I can modify or add new items, but I cannot remove items.
>
> For example, how can I delete the second item "Mail Reader" in the main
> list?
>
> And another problem: when I change ANYTHING with menulibre the application
> menu is gone. Neither right-click on desktop background nor "xfdesktop
> --menu" work any more.
>
> I have to logout/login to have it back.
>
> PS: Is there an offical site to report bugs like this?
>
> --
> Ullrich Horlacher              Server und Virtualisierung
> Rechenzentrum TIK
> Universitaet Stuttgart         E-Mail: horlacher at tik.uni-stuttgart.de
> Allmandring 30a                Tel:    ++49-711-68565868
> 70569 Stuttgart (Germany)      WWW:    http://www.tik.uni-stuttgart.de/
> REF:<20161005150223.GC23306 at rus.uni-stuttgart.de>

If you are simply removing items from the favorites list (assuming this is
what you mean by "main list") then right click the item and choose "Remove
>From Favorites".  Removing items from the rest of the menu sets I imagine
comes from the uninstalling of the software.  Floating over the the
"Delete" option reveals the user does not have permission and Menulibre
will not run as root.  This tells me the developers took measures to allow
the software to control it's own removal.  I am just making an educated
guess at this point and someone else may be able to elaborate.  You can;
however, choose whether the items show up in the menu by turning ON/OFF the
"Hide from Menu" option on the individual items in menulibre.     HTH.

-- Fred