[xubuntu-users] livecd not mounting USB drvices

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Oct 2 13:29:38 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2 Oct 2016 12:21:45 +0100, Ben Edwards wrote:
>Hi.  Hi, I fired up the livecd of the latest version

What is the latest version for you [1]?

Please provide the output of

  lsb_release -r

to ensure that you aren't using the release candidate 16.10.

>and it loaded but when I plugged in a USB stick it did not mount.  A
>hard drive also did not mount.  Does this mean if I intall it I will
>not be able to mount such devices?

An external or internal hard disk?

>The box currently had KDE loaded andthis mounts stuff OK.

I suspect you're talking about auto-mount or at least mounting by mouse
click, right?

What did you try to mount the USB stick and hard disk when using the
live media?

You might experience a gvfs or udev or what ever else issue, we need
more information.

Did you get any messages?

FWIW I'm an old school user and don't use mount applications, I'm
mounting everything by CLI.

Assuming that mounting by command line failed for you, post the used
commands and their messages.

I didn't read those help pages myself, but after taking a brief look,
they seem to explain how to mount devices.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/37767/how-to-access-a-usb-flash-drive-from-the-terminal-how-can-i-mount-a-flash-driv

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB

Regards,
Ralf