[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 16.04 install software, in particular input method

Chris Spackman chris at osugisakae.com
Sun May 29 00:21:17 UTC 2016

On 2016/05/04 at 07:33pm, Thomas Blasejewicz wrote:

> Xubuntu 16.04 does NOT let me install ANY other language beside
> English and ANY attempts at installing any input method editor
> failed.  This does/did work with xubuntu 14.04 / 15.05 and all other
> linux flavors I used before.

I don't know why you have to install anthy or any of the other IMEs by
hand. I've been using Linux since 1998, with Japanese input, and,
IIRC, haven't had to hand install anthy since maybe 2005 or 2006. My
wife's computer is Xubuntu in Japanese and it all installed just
fine. Works so well, I haven't had to touch it since installation,
which is why my suggestions are going to be somewhat vague.

Look in the menu for the "add language" software. I don't know what it
is called, exactly, but if you search in the main menu => "system" or
"settings" or "control panel" or the such, you should find an option
for adding system languages - it might even be called
"Languages". Install Japanese. You *might* have to set (or let the
software set for you) some variables in .bashrc or .profile to get
an English system with Japanese input available.

--
Chris Spackman

GNU Terry Pratchett