[xubuntu-users] Jordan's weird dev upgrade method [was Re: 16.10 Yakkety alpha]

JMZ florentior at gmail.com
Thu May 26 08:53:35 UTC 2016

Hi,

I upgraded to yakkety the wrong (not recommended) way.  This is always
how I've installed dev versions of ubuntu.  Real simple (for the
demented like me), but easy to screw up if you're not paying close
attention to the /etc/apt files and 'sudo apt-get update' output.  Use a
text editor with a line counter.

1) I found out that yakkety was available by checking the
canonical-kernel-team page on sourceforge (by accident).

https://launchpad.net/~canonical-kernel-team/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

2)  Go to /etc/apt.  Copy, rename copy, and back up sources.list. Move
the backup copy onto reliable media because it's a pain to reconstruct
old versions.

3)  See what you've got in the /etc/apt/sources.list.d.  You'll see a
list of data files for the ppa's you already run.

4)  Back up the *.list files.  They may already be under *.list.save,
but I always make up backups.

------> 4a) make a new directory off of /etc/apt  I call it
'sources-list-d-not-needed'.  sudo mv all your broken, old, and spare
sources.list.d files here.  Tarball and backup the files.  You never
know when you'll need them later or can fix/merge broken ones.

5) If a ppa website says that it explicitly supports yakkety, you're
probably okay with the ppa signature you have now.  If not, you'll have
to run the new signature with 'add-apt-repository' and generate new
source.list.d files.

6) Go to sources.list and change over from 'xenial' to 'yakkety'

-------> **6a)**  _Warning_/_Achtung_/_advertissement_/_cavete_!  Like
the old Montana daytime speed limit, "reasonable and prudent".  Change
the essential deb files (updates, backports) first and see what happens.
Change ppa's and unsupported debs one by one and test using 'sudo
apt-get update'.  If you get line errors in sources.list and
sources.list.d entries, you'll have to go back and make sure you have
the files synched correctly.  Back up sources.list as you go along.
Keep a sharp eye on the 'sudo apt-get update' results.  This is a great
time to listen to decimalization-era British folk-rock, bad New Wave, or
whatever calms you down.

7)  Once 'sudo apt-get update' is running well, reboot.  After the boot,
update, issue command for new kernel (sudo apt-get linux-generic
linux-image-generic linux-headers-generic), watch the repository
packages trickle by, etc.  'uname -r' will tell you if you're at kernel
4.6.x

Or, you could be smart and just do it Kev's way.  Be smart.  Unlike me.
Seriously, I never thought to use an iso. ::headpalm::

Best,
Jordan