[xubuntu-users] showing disk space used

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Fri May 13 21:22:18 UTC 2016

>On 05/13/2016 09:04 PM, John R. Sowden wrote:
>> I have tried baobab.  I don't understand the 'ring' graph
>
>It's an interactive map of directories with root (/) at the middle.
>Hover over a segment and its name pops up, followed by its children.
>You can see at a glance what your biggest directories are.
>Click on a segment and it zooms in on it.

Speaking for the Mate equivalent, there's a difference between a click
and a right click zoom.

>> and the tree graph option is totally beyond me.
>
>Never used it.

Again speaking for the Mate equivalent, same as for the circle graph,
just vice versa, IOW from outside to inside.

>> Part of the problem is in both
>> graphs, the colors or shapes are not identified,
>
>The colours are just picked for contrast; identity is done by hovering.

Again speaking for the Mate equivalent, the colours are for
contrast, but also represent the size, at least within a tree (not in
comparison with another tree).

I suspect that the Mate thingy and baobab are more or less equal.

I'm neither a user of those GUI tools, nor did I read the manual, but
the help menu of the Mate thingy at least provides a manual. Shortcut
F1, maybe baobab provides help/a manual by F1 too.