[xubuntu-users] changing ownership on thumb drive

JMZ florentior at gmail.com
Fri May 13 10:20:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

I'm having some weird issues with thumb drive ownership.  Steps:

1) 'sudo blkid' to call up the thumb drive assignment

2) 'sudo mount /dev/sd* /thumb' [where /dev/sd* is the drive assignment,
and /thumb a directory off of the root]

---> 2a) [NB: /thumb is owned by the local account (here, 'blah')
__before__ the mount command.  Afterwards, the mounted thumb drive is
owned by 'root' and can't be changed]

3) 'sudo touch /thumb' [for some reason, I get the default DEC 31 1969
when I mount the thumb drive]

but, when I type

'sudo chown -R blah:blah /thumb', [where 'blah' is the local account], I
get

'chown: changing ownership of '/thumb': Operation not permitted'

***

The chown switches -R or --recursive do not work. [there are
subdirectories on the thumb drive, and I would like all subdirectories
to be changed to 'blah' ownership]

I suspect that the system's assignment of a wrong date/time to the drive
might block the ownership change even after 'touch'.  Is 'touch'
counterproductive?

I have disabled automounting of thumb drives or indeed anything not in
fstab [ie. hard drive].  I have removed the /media directory.

Any ideas?  Thanks,
Jordan