[xubuntu-users] restarting window server or possibly usb service remotely

Dan Hitt dan.hitt at gmail.com
Sun May 8 19:57:47 UTC 2016

Ah Victor thanks a million!

Turning off the monitor turns out to be key.

If i turn off the HDMI monitor, lightdm (or whatever the underlying
service is) seems to take that as a signal to never return.

So that means that there is a work around.  First, do ctrl-alt-f1 to
get into a virtual monitor.  Then turn off the monitor.

And coming back, just do the reverse: turn on the monitor, then do
ctrl-alt-f7 to get back xwindows.

This is possibly related to another problem that i have, where i
cannot listen to headphones plugged into my hdmi monitor.  (Under
ubuntu 15.10 i could do this, so i know it is not a hardware problem.)

Now, unfortunately, i'm far too ignorant to have any ideas about your
question "with modern lcd monitors is there any difference between
sleep and a software shut off?"

But i think it would be useful to know in order to construct some sort
of model of how hdmi works (what states can a monitor be in, and what
transitions are possible under what conditions between the states).

Anyhow, thanks again for your help!  (And thanks everybody else also.
I've learned something from every suggestion.)

dan