[xubuntu-users] Howto or Tutorial for systemd to add a network service

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Mar 26 20:51:59 UTC 2016

On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 21:43:46 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 21:02:50 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>I wanted to say, "take a look at udev".  I don't know when exactly
>>udev is useful and when not. Until the OP doesn't describes what
>>exactly should happen, it anyway is impossible to provide good hints.
>>What kind of port? What kind of server? Should systemd just start a
>>script that monitors a port?
>
>"network service" still keeps me guessing. My apologies for
>exaggerating:  If somebody connects a sound device to an USB port, you
>want to start netjack?
>
>I'm aware that this most likely isn't what the OP wants, but the
>description still is vague.

Oops, I didn't read carefully enough. "inetd lookalike" indeed
describes the kind of service and ports ;). I still don't know if udev
is or is not the right tool to take action, if this kind of port is
touched. However, regarding "rules" (if ... then), I suspect that udev
is more likely the needed tool, than systemd.