[xubuntu-users] Screen blank during version upgrade

Peter Flynn peter at silmaril.ie
Sun Feb 7 22:38:17 UTC 2016

On 02/07/2016 10:25 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 20:46:20 +0000, Peter Flynn wrote:
>> This ran, but with some messages about missing configs, unresolved
>> dependencies etc -- I have seen these before in a normal upgrade to
>> 15.10, so I think they are bugs rather than a breakage on my system.
>>
>> Finally it finished and I rebooted normally, and it's running X again,
>> but if I use apt-get, there is a very long list of packages which it
>> *claims* are no longer needed, but at this stage I have no way to tell
>> if this is true or if it's a result of a few things having been messed
>> about in the process.
>
> Perhaps the reason for this is, that the init process switched from
> upstart to systemd, this changed a lot.

Good point. It all seems OK now, and that's the last of my upgrades
(except the old laptop, which now won't run do-release-upgrade, or
software-center or update-manager at all (crashes and dumps core). It
still manages to do a regular apt-get upgrade, but for some reason it
won't run anything related to upgrading from 14.* to 15.*

///Peter