[xubuntu-users] Repository driver for nvidia laptop card NVS3100M?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu Dec 29 09:52:31 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 10:44:54PM -0500, JMZ wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Would anyone know if the repositories contain a driver for the nvidia
> NVS3100M laptop video card?  The box is a Lenovo T510 (built 2010 but bought
> a week ago; old refurbished boxen are fine for my needs.)  For some reason
> the laptop is iffy with xscreensaver.  Sometimes it works fine, and other
> times it causes video distortion (screen blank, not refreshing).  Not a
> hardware problem, as the laptop works just fine with xscreensaver disabled.
> Maybe fitting the right driver might help.  Bug report already filed.
>
> There are some ppa's out there for nvidia drivers, but the laptop at hand is
> far too old for anything an experimental ppa would burp up.

I know this a sort of lateral answer but still....

Why use xscreensaver at all?  It's not even installed on my Lenovo
T430 (also refurbished, good aren't they!).  The facilities offered by
the power manager and (although I don't use it) Light Locker seem
quite adequate to me.

I just turn the screen completely off after a timeout, saves power too.

--
Chris Green