[xubuntu-users] OT: better bootable thumb drive creator than unetbootin?

Rog linux.rog at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 17:23:27 UTC 2016

On 05/01/2016 01:17 AM, Patrice ARNAL wrote:

> I ususally use Easy2boot or Multi system
>
> http://www.easy2boot.com/
>
> http://liveusb.info/dotclear/  (MultiSystem)
>
> Both are fine. Easy2boot needs contigous files and needs sometimes to be
> defragmented with a virtual window machine (JK Defrag)
>
> Multisystem has its own management interface installable on any Ubuntu
> distro, and is going to be my favorite.

Patrice: GREAT TIP. I tried Multisystem and it worked very well. Others have
failed for me, including tuxboot. I installed Multiboot using the method
described here:

    http://tinyurl.com/jxdbo8s

My first attempt at finding a source led to a non-English page. The one cited
is in English.

Parenthetically, there are some unneeded steps specified at the above site -
after the addition of the ppa to the repository list. apt-get update does
things specified in earlier steps.

I did find that one has to be sure and be patient while some steps are
in-progress, e.g., loading iso components onto a thumb drive - there are not
progress indicators and it might appear to some that the install has hung. No,
it's just processing, probably writing the larger files from the Knoppix iso.

I made a Knoppix thumb drive. The attempt had failed on three different thumb
drives but it worked fine on my first try. Knoppix boots in ~ 15 sec on my
laptop, which has an I7 processor.

Thanks again for a great tip.

--
Roger