[xubuntu-users] Using a 4k TV as a monitor

Petter Adsen petter at synth.no
Tue Apr 19 07:10:29 UTC 2016

On Mon, 18 Apr 2016 10:04:04 -0700
MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have an ASRock Z97 Pro4 m/b with the on-board video and an i7-4790K
> 4GHz CPU.  I'm running Xubuntu 14.04.4 on it with all the latest
> updates and the 15.10 kernel (4.2.0-35).
>
> i'm wondering if this combination can support a 4k monitor resolution
> (3840x2160) with a 4k TV as a monitor.
>
> Does anyone here know?

It should work, the Intel HD Graphics 4600 chipset in this CPU should
support 3840x2160 at 60Hz (over DP, only 24Hz over HDMI) according to
Intel's specs:

http://ark.intel.com/products/80807/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_40-GHz

I actually have this exact same CPU, and would be interested in hearing
how well 4K resolution works, if the OP cares to post his results.

Petter

--
"I'm ionized"
"Are you sure?"