[xubuntu-users] Total system freeze, hard reboot.

Fred Roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 04:09:11 UTC 2015

Hi all,
     This one has me almost stumped and I am looking for some new
insight please.

Symptom:
Absolute system freeze.  No Keyboard. No mouse. No SSH. No REISUB.
Screen at last spot shown w/ no artifacts.  Only option is a hard
reboot.  Logs from Mate suite show no errors around time of crash.

Through a week of web search and T&E issue seems to be tied with video
in some way.  Idle on w/ nothing running produces no freeze.

Reproducible on thumb drive boot "try before install" option. After boot:
ctrl+alt+t
sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras vlc -y
/usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh (to enable dvd play)
open vlc -> play movie

This will cause a total system freeze. Hard boot required.

from this bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-intel/+bug/993187

decided to turn off composer:
All settings --> Windows Manager Tweaks --> Compositor --> Uncheck
"Enable display compositing"

This is where I am atm.

My system is:
Acer ES1-711-P14W
Xubuntu 15.04
     Kernel 2.19.0-26-generic (x86_64)
Intel Pentium CPU N3540 @ 2.16 GHz x4
8 GB Ram
gpu Intel atom processor z36xxx/z37xxx
Ethernet Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Note: There is some discussions on the gigabit connections causing a
total freeze up.  This was dismissed when I disengaged all connections
and still reproduced the freeze.

Loaded MATE system log and psensor early on to monitor.  Logs, as
mentioned show no errors; so I presume the crash does not give the
system time to register. psensor was showing over heating (no air
conditioning here) and processors were set for "performance". I reset
the processors for "powersave" and have had normal temps and still am
freezing up. This dismissed the overheating theory.  I have no way to
monitor GPU temperatures but given the freezes are random in time, i.e.
5 min to 2 hrs. I have put this at a "not likely" status.

Any ideas would be appreciated if this fails.  If this works, then ideas
to fix.  I don't like having to turn off functionality to make the
system work.

FYI I have same OS from same install thumb-drive installed on an ASUS
celeron notebook and works fine out of the box.

Thanks Gang

-- Fred