[xubuntu-users] XFCE ssh agent and broken recognition of new ssh keys?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Sep 1 08:46:41 UTC 2015

Hello,

I have generated a new SSH key and to my surprise it doesn't seem
recognized by whatever XFCE uses as an ssh agent (gnome-keyring,
right?). With older keys I get a passphrase popup once per session, and
then the key is remembered for the rest of the session. With this new
key I get the OpenSSH passphrase prompt on the terminal, and the key
isn't remembered so I get the prompt again on each new ssh call. This
is a large annoyance.

Out of curiosity I wondered if I could add the key myself, but it
doesn't seem to work either:

$ ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_ed25519
Enter passphrase for /home/antoine/.ssh/id_ed25519:
Error reading response length from authentication socket.
Could not add identity: /home/antoine/.ssh/id_ed25519

I also tried to log out and log in again.

Any guidance?

Thanks

Antoine.