[xubuntu-users] which printer/scanner for linux/linux Mint

xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 8 23:07:34 UTC 2015

Honestly,

I haven't had an issue with printer compatibility in years. My Canon
(WiFi network printer) and HP Deskjet (WiFi network printer) worked out
of the box.

I just make sure I install hplip and printer-driver-gutenprint . You
should also be safe if you make sure it has IPP support. Basically,
check here [1] and here [2].

On 2015-11-08 02:26 PM, Peter Flynn wrote:

> On 08/⁠11/⁠15 03:17, Istimsak Abdulbasir wrote:
>
>> On Nov 7, 2015 6:22 PM, "Teach" <pbrteach at gmail.com
>> <mailto:pbrteach at gmail.com>> wrote:
> [...] Which printer/⁠scanner is compatible with Linux and will be
> installed and configured automatically or semi-⁠automatically
> Sadly, getting printers to work with linux is not a straightforward
> thing.

 Unfortunately this is true. CUPS is a fine system, but the drivers (PPD
files) tend to be buggy for any operation other than simple one-sided A4
or Letter printing. There is no excuse for this, as CUPS is (or was) an
Apple product, and the PPD files they distribute work perfectly.

 I cannot speak as to scanners, as I don't have or use one.

> It is best to check with printers that are known to work.

 Even that, alas, is no guarantee of anything. Most depends on the
version of the CUPS PPDs available for your distribution.

 /⁠/⁠/⁠Peter

Links:
------
[1] http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/supported_devices/index.html