[xubuntu-users] New Laptop

Justin O'Shea 191jordan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:29:21 UTC 2015

Brand is largely irrelevant, it's what is on the inside that counts. Same
brand can have different hardware on the inside. That said there a much
fewer problems now in terms of compatibility. The Linux kernel is developed
on an industrial scale now days, eg Intel are a big contributor. So
anything with an Intel cpu and Intel graphics should work fine. As far as
build quality is concerned the HP Elite series are generally built like
bricks because they are targeted at enterprise. However, mileage may vary,
so find a laptop you are interested in, find out what's on the inside, then
search for something like "installing Ubuntu on [model of laptop]" and see
if any one has done it. People have installed linux distros on Macs,
Chromebooks... the list goes on. Like anything else it's research, research
then research some more.

Good luck.