[xubuntu-users] Hard drives and backup - Was: Am I the only one who still uses floppies?

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Thu Jul 30 10:45:53 UTC 2015

On Thu, 30 Jul 2015 06:31:16 -0400
JMZ <florentior at gmail.com> wrote:

> I respect Ralf's concern about the environment.  Maybe if every linux
> user switched to gvfs there would be a qualitative and quantitative
> environmental change.  Soon I'll be replacing a drive with a WD gvfs
> compliant drive, so maybe I can experiment there.

Those concerns may be obsolete once you switch to SSDs. SSDs are still
not as cheap as HDDs, but they are so much of an improvement in user
experience (thanks to dramatically faster random I/O) that upgrading to
a SSD is really a no-brainer if you have some money to spend on it.

(this is especially true if you sometimes need to run a guest OS -
e.g. Windows - in a VM...)

Regards

Antoine.