[xubuntu-users] Are *Ubuntu Based Distro's Dying?

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Jul 7 02:33:44 UTC 2015

On Mon, 6 Jul 2015 22:28:08 -0300
"J. Paul Bissonnette" <jpaulbiss at gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know why anyone would get too upset if Ubuntu went the way of
> DOS or CPM.

Because when I went from CPM to DOS I had to pay 2x the price for my
hardware. When I went from DOS to Windows, point and click overwrote
some of the application scripting I could do with DOS --- capabilities
I didn't get back til I went with Linux.

[snip]

> I personally do not care what the OS is as ling as I can migrate my
> data from one to the other

Ability to migrate data in a form that's useful is not at all certain.
I have all sorts of 5.25 CPM floppies I'm sure would get me back some
of my earliest Turbo Pascal programs and documents, if only I could
read them (I *do* have a 5.25" drive).

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2015 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21