[xubuntu-users] Help with dual booting to Xubuntu and Windows 8.1

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Jan 31 01:19:31 UTC 2015

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 13:11:41 +1300
Harry Chapman <harry.rhc at openmailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi all!
> I was wondering if you might be able to help me setting up my
> computer for dual booting Windows 8.1 and Xubuntu 14.10.
>
> It's installed correctly, but when booting up my computer (an HP
> pavilion g6) it doesn't give me the option to go to Grub, and simply
> boots straight to Windows.
>
> There doesn't seem to be any option to change the boot order in my
> bios settings. If I turn legacy booting support off, it does give me
> the option before it boots Windows to go into boot settings, and from
> there I can boot to Xubuntu - but that's a rather roundabout method.
>
> I've turned secure boot off, and tried boot repair (results here:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/9879711/ ) to no avail.
>
> Let me know if you have any ideas about how to boot to Xubuntu easily!
> Cheers,

Back before I blew off the Windows on my HP laptop, it came to an HP
menu that gave me a bunch of options, I had to pick one, and then it
gave me another list, and I picked Ubuntu from that list. In other
words, pretty much what you describe. I never found a way for Ubuntu to
come up on the first list.

It wasn't much of a problem, because after awhile I knew to press F6
or whatever to invoke boot choice, and then to select whatever it was
and then Ubuntu. Seriously, once I got used to it, the annoyance was
minor.

When the machine went out of warranty, I removed Windows, did an MBR
boot to Manjaro, ((L|X|U)buntu would work too), and it works just like
any other computer.

HTH,

SteveT

SteveT