[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 14.10 auto remounts a safely removed drive

JMZ florentior at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 03:56:59 UTC 2014

Hi Dolev,

How does the 'sudo umount' command work for you?

e.g. 'sudo umount /dev/sda1'

if you do not know the dev directory of your device, the 'df' command
should display both the dev directory and the directory the device is
mounted to (e.g. somewhere in the /media/ directory).

sometimes unmounting/exiting a device from the gui is not sufficient.
Also, if you are running multiple terminals at once, one terminal might
be in a directory of the device you want to unmount.  In that case, exit
the terminal, go to another terminal, and try 'sudo umount' again in the
root directory.

The best option for clean mounts and unmounts is to type your device
into /etc/fstab.  This way, your device will be recognized at bootup and
put in a directory of your choice, rather than being place in some
arbitrary directory.

The UUID in fstab (the long ascii line before the target directory) of a
device can be found by using the 'sudo blkid'.  'df' first to find your
device's dev directory, then use 'sudo blkid' to find the UUID to enter
into fstab.  A UUID is much more stable than ad hoc mounting.

Jordan