[xubuntu-users] Xubuntu 14.10 not showing nm-applet - icons missing?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Thu May 8 11:34:40 UTC 2014

I have still not got my nm-applet icon back in the panel on one of my
xubuntu 14.04 systems.  The network works OK but there's no applet
icon which can be a bit annoying when connecting to WiFi etc.

The nm-applet can be made to appear by running it as root, it gives a
warning though:-

    root at acer-aspire:~# nm-applet &
    root at acer-aspire:~# nm-applet-Message: using fallback from indicator to GtkStatusIcon

In addition the icon shown in the panel is the 'old-fashioned' icon
for an ethernet connection, the picture of a cable plugged in.  I
don't get the new icon - two opposing arrows.

What package provides the new[er] icons?  Maybe it isn't installed for
some reason and that's why nm-applet isn't starting correctly for the
ordinary user.

--
Chris Green