[xubuntu-users] xfce terminal - maximise window?

Neil neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Sun Jun 8 11:40:31 UTC 2014

On Sun, 8 Jun 2014 10:00:28 +0100
James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 08/06/2014, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I want to maximise my terminal window each time terminal is used.
> > The man pages
> > states it as an option. Presumably I can alter the setting in the
> > relevant .rc
> > file but what is it called. I want to avoid the alt-f10 I do each
> > time I use
> >
> > terminal.
> >
> > thanks
> > james
> >

> I think I have found it
> .config/xfce4/terminal/terminalrc
> But what setting does one change I assume
> MiscDefaultGeometry=80x24 ?
>

> thanks
> james

I have set up a self-help note about this. Here is is ...

When you open a terminal it will not be full screen. If you want it to
always open up maximised here is how to set it up.

• Open up a terminal screen and maximise it.
• Run the command stty size
• This will show the screen size in pixels, for example 37 168.
• Make a note of this.
• Open up the file manager, Thunar.
• View the hidden files, either by using the view menu or by using
Ctrl-H • Go to .config → xfce4 → terminal → terminalrc.
• This last file is the one to alter.
• Look for the line that starts MiscDefaultGeometry.
• Change this to your new values eg MiscDefaultGeometry=168x37
• IMPORTANT. Note that the values are the other way round from what you
found. • Also, make sure that there are no spaces around the equals
sign. • Save the file.
• Via the menu or Ctrl_H cancel the view of hidden files.
• Close Thunar.

In future when you open a terminal screen it should be maiximised.

Please Note.
If you decide to change the font used in the terminal screen you may
have to go through this again. Different fonts take up different space
for each character.