[xubuntu-users] WiFi on "Try It"?

Fred Roller fredroller66 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 1 04:29:42 UTC 2014

On 05/31/2014 10:46 PM, Robert Miner wrote:
> Successfully booted from a DVD and "tried" Xubuntu without installing
> it.  All works fine on Ethernet, but am unable to see any wireless
> networks, including mine.  Should I be able to hook up to a wireless
> network on the "try it" basis? The double-arrow icon at the upper
> right of the screen shows "Enable Network," but not "Enable WiFi."  Is
> that the Network Manager, or should a Network Manager icon appear on
> the left side of the screen with other icons (it does not)?  Thanks
> from a wannabee/newbie.

Hello Robert, welcome to the community.  First thing to check is whether
your wifi is turned on, just to double check.  Assuming this is a laptop
of some nature, look for either a button with a wifi symbol (radar or
some such) or one of the keyboard keys with a similar symbol; usually
activated with the "fn" key in the lower left of the keyboard.  Sorry if
this is really basic but first rule of trouble shooting is check cables
and switches.  Also, many a wifi issues turned out to be simply the wifi
was not turned on, so I ask.

Also, information about your system would help.  Brand, model, etc.
would help (i.e. Acer Aspire 7520 AMD, running Xubuntu 14.04 64 bit),
and if know wifi card (i.e. broadcom [model #]).  This just makes it
easier for others who may have had similar issues give you some clues.

--
- Fred

"Only those who can see the invisible
can accomplish the impossible." - Anonymous