[xubuntu-users] Help us test Xubuntu 14.04 LTS

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Feb 2 17:47:23 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-02-02 at 17:26 +0000, George DiceGeorge wrote:
> Help us test Xubuntu 14.04 LTS
> http://xubuntu.org/news/help-us-test-xubuntu-14-04-lts/
>
> I want to help – this release of xubuntu14.04 LTS
> is the one for people leaving WinXP
> as Microsoft are abandoning it.

If somebody needs Windows, than Linux can't replace it. There is no
iTunes for Linux, there is no official release of Elster Formular. For
German ID cards, bus ticket etc. the Linux software doesn't work. Etc.
pp.. Some software might run on wine, most doesn't.

I run Win XP in VBox on a Linux machine and will continue doing it, when
Microsft stopped support.

IMO it's important to point out that Linux is the better OS, but it's
not a replacement and/or competitor to Microsoft and Apple OSes.

I dislike it, if a Linux distro does try to provide a replacement for
Windows, this usually will cause issues for Linux, when replacing the
KISS principle by GUI crap that tries to fake Microsoft and Apple OSes
and the "new" users expect that Linux does work like those OSes, IOW
they expect drivers that aren't available, they aren't willing to become
self-responsible etc.. It doesn't make sense to replace Windows by
Linux.

People should use Linux, if they want control their OS, if they want to
learn admin tasks etc. and not if they expect what Apple and Microsoft
provide or if they want to buy a printer at a discounter that
definitively will not have drivers for Linux.

Regards,
Ralf