[xubuntu-users] Recommendations For A Great Text Editor?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Tue Dec 9 10:44:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 08:03:54AM +0100, Patrice ARNAL wrote:

> Le 08/12/2014 23:39, Peter Flynn a écrit :
> >>The OP looks for an editor that replaces the simple GUI editor mousepad
> >>with something similar, but with more features.
> >>
> >>It's "surreal" to recommend emacs or vi(m).
> VI is my favorite text editor, and simple data digging, log files
> parsing and sorting since 1980

I use a vi clone called vile on my desktop machine.  One big advantage
of using vi or a clone is that you can find a familiar editor on just
about every system you use.  E.g. I can find vi (often vim, but
sometimes the busybox one) on all of the following:-

    My dlink NAS backup system
    An older Western Digital backup system
    One of my routers
    My Squeezebox radio (yes, you really can ssh to a Squeezebox!)
    All of my several Linux systems
    Shell login on my web hosting provider
    Beaglebone Black (I have three)
    Raspberry Pi (I have two)
    etc.

It's the only editor that I'm sure to find!

--
Chris Green