[xubuntu-users] [Bulk] Re: [14.04 64Bit]-Can't Turn Off Monitor Power Management?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sat Dec 6 22:11:46 UTC 2014

On Sat, 2014-12-06 at 23:00 +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Perhaps it's not needed anymore, but at least in the past disabling
> screen blanking by the power manager didn't work without
>
> $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> [snip]
> Section "ServerFlags"
>     Option "BlankTime" "0"
>     Option "StandbyTime" "0"
>     Option "SuspendTime" "0"
>     Option "OffTime" "0"
> EndSection
>
> on my machine
>
> With this xorg.conf settings I could enable and disable screen
> blanking by the power manager. Without those entries screen blanking
> always was enabled, even when it was disabled by the power manger.

PS: X has got default values, e.g.

"Option BlankTime time
sets the inactivity timeout for the blank phase of the screensaver. time
is in minutes. This is equivalent to the Xorg server's -s flag, and the
value can be changed at run-time with xset(1). Default: 10 minutes." -
http://linux.die.net/man/5/xorg.conf

Perhaps power manager nowadays edit those defaults, but it didn't in the
past. JFTR I still use this xorg.conf entries, even if they should be
unneeded, they don't harm.