[xubuntu-users] 14.10 installation doesn't see existing Windows 7

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Wed Dec 3 09:32:25 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 02, 2014 at 06:30:11PM -0600, terry wrote:
>    [1]https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowtoResizeWindowsPartitions#Recom
>    mended_Preparations
>    Read the "Recommended Preparations" parts.
>    Hopefully, you ran scandisk and defrag not too long ago, if not, do it
>    now.
>    Backup your personal files, (anything you consider important).
>    It is risky business any time you resize partitions.
>    You've not told us the size of your hard drive, or whether it is a
>    desktop or laptop, but if possible, add another hard drive and you'll
>    avoid all these problems.

No I won't!  :-)

The problem isn't that of resizing (or not) the Windows partition,
it's that the Xubuntu install isn't recognising it as a bootable
Windows partition so it won't get included in the grub menu at
startup.

There isn't any [useful] data on the machine yet, it's a new (to me)
system.  I just want to install xubunto dual-boot with Windows in the
quickest and simplest way.  If I can avoid re-installing Windows 7
then it saves me time and effort but if it all goes tits up then I
haven't lost anything.

--
Chris Green