[xubuntu-users] [Bulk] Re: "Other" menu disappeared

MR ZenWiz mrzenwiz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 16:50:34 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 1:39 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-08-26 at 00:56 -0700, MR ZenWiz wrote:
>> There's more - more than half of the items listed in the Other and
>> System menus in the menu editor are not visible in the menu, and some
>> items are there that aren't showing in the editor.
>
> You're using Linux so you are free to use a terminal emulation and
> editor to fix issues ;). Unfortunately I don't know how the menu is
> generated, I seldom use Xfce4, I switched to JWM. Ubuntu Studio provides
> a customized menu, so it's definitively possible to edit it.
> Unfortunately the editors I mentioned, including the GNOME menu editor
> alacarte (the one used by Xfce4) can't do it.

I'd love to use the terminal and an editor to fix these, but like you
I don't know where the menus are stored, so the missing piece is also
the stumbling block.

Xfce4 (4.1) uses menulibre, not alacarte.  That's the one that doesn't
work for me.

What's weirder is that these all seem to work on my work desktop but
not at home.  At work I have a dual quad-Xeon (12GB of RAM), at home I
have a Phenom II x6 (16GB).

It's been a much more interesting upgrade than I was hoping for,
especially since I had so little trouble with it at work.