[xubuntu-users] xubuntu goes crazy

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Tue Apr 29 05:29:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-04-28 at 13:48 -0400, Fred Roller wrote:
> Try this for a night or so... through power management and screensaver
> both ensure all options to go to suspend, sleep, hibernate, etc is
> turned off so the system won't automatically go to sleep.  This may
> include adjusting the xorg.conf file as described on this list a week or
> so ago.

No, the xorg.file [1] is only needed to avoid screen blanking.

[1]
man xorg.conf informs that the default values are 10 minutes.
I had to add

        Section "ServerFlags"
            Option "BlankTime" "0"
            Option "StandbyTime" "0"
            Option "SuspendTime" "0"
            Option "OffTime" "0"
        EndSection

to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf, so that I could disable screen blanking by the
power manager settings, resp. since I don't need other power settings,
to enable/disable screen blanking by
(enable)
killall xfce4-power-manager ; xfce4-power-manager
(disable)
killall xfce4-power-manager
Without the xorg.conf entries screen blanking is active, even when the
values are set to disable screen blanking by the power manager while
it's running, or when it's killed. JFTR first I kill the power manager,
when I want to enable it, to ensure that only one instance will run,
when enabling it by a launcher.