[xubuntu-users] White Screen at CD boot

Benjamin Shadwick benshadwick at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 22:36:17 UTC 2014

On Sat, Apr 12, 2014 at 5:00 AM, <xubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com>wrote:

> First, I forgot to mentioned that I was trying to install Xubuntu 12.04.4
> desktop i386.
> When I tried Benjamin's suggestion (acpi=off), a black screen with Xubuntu
> on it appeared, along with a series of white dots showing, I guess,
> progress in loading the program. This was followed eventually by some
> on-screen text that went by too quickly to read. Then the screen went black
> and that was the end of that. Fred's suggestion resulted once again in a
> white screen.

Seeing the Xubuntu-with-dots screen is a good sign. It sounds like you may
have multiple issues, and that acpi=off peeled one layer off of the onion.

With acpi=off, does Ctrl+Alt+F1 get you to a text login prompt when the
white screen appears? If so, you may be able to try installing updates
and/or nVidia proprietary drivers.