[xubuntu-users] Raid Support in Xubuntu?

Rog linux.rog at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 18:09:46 UTC 2013

I tried helping a friend re-build his system using Xubuntu 12.04.3. Installs
failed. He had the same trouble with Unity, etc. We used the "alternate CD"
for one try at installing, having read that is necessary for Raid.

Is Raid supported in Xunbutu and will it be continued?

My friend concluded from other sources of info that Raid support has been
dropped from Ubuntu "because most users don't use it."

He used mdadm to try to fix earlier install attempts. I have read that mdadm
runs as part of palimpsest / disk-utility. We could "see" Raid setups (he has
two) during install using the install attempt during "manual" partitioning. We
even put / and /root on separate physical partitions outside of the Raid arrays.

He has also had trouble with getting grub to install properly. The install
would seemingly go correctly until the last steps and bomb when grub was being
installed.

/Roger