[xubuntu-users] User-Friendliness - Was: Software Updater package?

Bruno Benitez gridcube at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 15:27:51 UTC 2013

2013/9/28 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>

> On Sat, 2013-09-28 at 15:22 +0100, David Walland wrote:
> > Sorry User-Friendliness is a personal hobbyhorse.
>
> David,
>
> you chose Xubuntu and not Ubuntu. For what reason did you chose Xubuntu?
> The definition of what is user-friendly and what not is without a break.
>
> Xubuntu and Ubuntu Studio are still user-friendly and in some domains
> they perhaps are more user-friendly as they were some time ago, OTOH I
> see tendencies that they become to close to Ubuntu.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Hey Ralf, I understand what you are saying, but i have to rebuke you here,
you see, there are many linux distributions that provide the XFCE desktop,
Xubuntu happens to be the one that does so basing it self on Ubuntu. By
this I mean that Xubuntu IS Ubuntu, what Xubuntu is not is Unity, or Gnome,
or KDE, because those are desktops that Ubuntu distributes.

What I'm trying to say here is that Xubuntu doesnt need to diferentiate too
much from mainbuntu, not in internal means, not in making the UX different
from low level details, drivers, global settings, kernel update, etc.
Ubuntu does all of those things greatly, and makes the linux'verse usable
for people who dont want, or can't, understand how to do them manually.

Thats why Ubuntu goes the road of Rebooting after some installations, it
does so after kernel updates, it does so after graphical stacks updates,
and on a few other cases. Because its technically easier to just reboot
than go around the rebooting. And yes, you can go around the reboot, but
the true is, the "uptime" means nothing. Standard users dont care about
that, they shut down their computers at night and boot them back at morning.

Xubuntu needs and will grab more and more of the things that make Ubuntu
one of the most chosen linux distribution nowdays, because we are part of
them.

--
Bruno.-