[xubuntu-users] Default search engine - Was: Installing Xubuntu from a flash drive

John R. Sowden jsowden at americansentry.net
Sat Sep 14 19:59:38 UTC 2013

On 09/14/2013 11:42 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-09-14 at 14:22 -0400, Bill wrote:
>>> Using https://startpage.com  search engine, searching for "usb boot
>>> plbt" without the quotes, I get
>>>
>>> http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/using-plop-boot-manager-usb-boot
>>>
>>> and several other hits.
>> Thanks! I'll be looking into that. (And thanks for the tip on
>> startpage.com. First I've heard of it as well. It amazes me what I learn
>> from the folks like you on this list.)
> I'm not satisfied with the hits I get when using Duck Duck Go and
> Ixquick, so I always ended up with evil Google. When I talked about it
> at Debian user mailing list, somebody mentioned Start Page by Ixquick
> and I'm completely satisfied with it, even with family filter enabled.
> However, family filter can be disabled by the settings. This is needed
> even if you're just searching for Linux stuff, e.g. if you search for
> "linux pornview" it is censored with family filter enabled.
>
> If you disable family filter you get what you want, "PornView project is
> an image and movie manager and viewer with thumbnail previews" with
> packages for all major distros. Note, disabling seems not to work for
> "English UK", but it does for at least "English" and "German".
>
> https://startpage.com/do/preferences.pl?language_ui=english
>
> I'll recommend it to the Ubuntu Studio devel list as default search
> engine, perhaps Xubuntu can add it to the default browser, as default
> engine.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

I also use the startpage search engine, and find the same problem. I
wrote to the site a couple of months ago, and they responded by telling
me that they are aware that the search results they get from google are
a subset of reality.  The had no apology, solution or explanation.
Google probably does not want to give away the farm, so you still have
to go with them.  I use startpage (ixquick) first, then if I am not
satisfied, I go with google.

John