[xubuntu-users] thunderbird - viewing attached image

Jack Fromm jjfrv8 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 01:01:23 UTC 2013

On 09/30/2013 02:46 PM, Norman Silverstone wrote:
> On 30/09/13 18:49, Elfy wrote:
>> On 30/09/13 18:27, Norman Silverstone wrote:
>>> When I click on the attached image a window opens which gives me two
>>> options. I select 'Open with' but I do not want to use the default
>>> 'Ristretto Image Viewer' that I am offered so I click on the down
>>> arrow and select 'other' expecting to get a list of other image
>>> openers such as Gimp. However what I get is a long list of items which
>>> I have recently opened. Any suggestions on how to correct this, please?
>>>
>>> Norman
>>>

>> Assuming you see the same as I do - you can use the file manager to find
>> and then select the appropriate application
>>
>> Go to the File system then  select /usr/bin/gimp
>>
>> I'd imagine there is an easier method.
>>
> Yes that's OK but, if I have an image in an open directory and I right
> click on that. the same sort of window opens as before and choosing
> 'other' gives a list of applications to choose from. Perhaps the fact
> that this does not happen with thunderbird is a bug.
>
> Norman

Apparently there isn't a way to get Thunderbird to use a nice
application chooser like you get when right-clicking a file in File
Manager but you can get it to give you one more choice in addition to
the default.  If you follow Elfy's suggestion and locate gimp and then
actually open the attachment one time with Gimp, Thunderbird will retain
that second "Open with" choice.  So the next time, you would have
Ristretto, Gimp and Other to pick from.  Picking another app; e.g.,
gThumb, won't add a third choice, it just replaces the second one
unfortunately.

Jack