[xubuntu-users] Changing xubuntu to 64 bit from 32 bit.

PGillespie vermontpoet at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 13:31:37 UTC 2013

Keeping one's /home directory in a separate partition isn't quite the
miracle cure it's made out to be. If you ever decide to distro-hop, you
will probably have re-install your home directory or the new distro will
misbehave. Having a separate home directory can retain preferences you
might not want with a fresh install and though they're retained, you
will still have to re-install all/most of the software associated with
those preferences (unless they come with the distro). I think the most
effective method is to create a script that will back-up everything
that's particular to your own preferences. I haven't actually done this.
I usually selectively copy my home folder to a flash drive, then copy
everything back after the fresh install.

In my own case:

~/.fonts
~/.config/tomboy
~/.local/share/tomboy
~/.local/share/radiotray
~./Dropbox
~./.xbindkeys

And then all my regular visible Home Folders... etc...

If anyone has created a script they can share, I would actually
appreciate it.