[xubuntu-users] rsync using ssh paired keys

Bill hb.cog.jil at gmail.com
Sun May 26 20:03:25 UTC 2013

On 05/26/2013 02:21 PM, Mike Kupfer wrote:
> Bill wrote:
>
>> The option of which I am most fond is to use ssh paired keys. I've
>> followed several tutorials (which are all essentially the same) and
>> run the necessary commands, set the necessary permissions - starting
>> from scratch at least a half dozen times. I've followed the procedure
>> on both machines, and it works from one machine (i.e., does not prompt
>> for the password) but not from the other.
>
> One way to troubleshoot this is to cut rsync out of the picture.  Try to
> login from one system to the other using "ssh -v".  Then compare the
> debug information that you get from the working configuration with the
> debug information from the non-working configuration.
>
> regards,
> mike

Thanks mike. I did as you suggested and ran 'ssh -vy'. I'm looking into
what the logs tell me. One thing I did notice is a line after successful
login using the password which says "Remote: Ignored authorized keys:
bad ownership or modes for directory /home/bill". Permissions are all
what I have been told they should be (700 on .ssh and 600 on the
id_rsa.pub and authorized_keys files). I do not know what "bad ownership
or modes" means. And, btw, both configurations are now requiring the
password, so I must have screwed something up, and now I can not get the
working config working again. I'll keep sniffing it out until I decide
it isn't worth it anymore or get it right. Thanks again.

--
Regards,
Bill