[xubuntu-users] rsync using ssh paired keys

Bill hb.cog.jil at gmail.com
Sat May 25 20:42:04 UTC 2013

Greetings. I use rsync to sync files on two computers on a home network.
For some time I have been running a script which has several rsync
commands in it (to facilitate syncing select directories). I run the
script from the shell and enter the password when prompted. I began to
investigate if and how I could pass the password to the rsync command.

The option of which I am most fond is to use ssh paired keys. I've
followed several tutorials (which are all essentially the same) and run
the necessary commands, set the necessary permissions - starting from
scratch at least a half dozen times. I've followed the procedure on both
machines, and it works from one machine (i.e., does not prompt for the
password) but not from the other.

I'm pulling out what little I have left of my hair. Any suggestions as
to what the problem might be? Thanks.

--
Regards,
Bill