[xubuntu-users] update-apt-xapian-index keeps crashing

sktsee sktseer at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 19:07:40 UTC 2013

On Sat, 09 Mar 2013 10:02:27 -0800, MR ZenWiz wrote:

> I don't even know what this is, why I have it or what it does (other
> than crash): update-apt-xapian-index.
>
> I'm running a fresh install of Xubuntu 12.04.2 and this is a new one I
> haven't seen before.
>
> What is this thing? Do I need it?  How can I kill it?  Apt-cache was
> not terribly informative....
>
> Thanks.

Ubuntu Software Center needs it, I think. It only has a "Recommended"
dependency, but the last time I used SC one or two releases ago, not
having apt-xapian-index installed meant that no packages showed up under
the software categories. In Synaptic, the "Quick Search" function
utilizes the xapian database, though the regular Search works just fine
without it. Personally, I uninstalled it because I got tired of the
stupid thing rebuilding the whole database after every single add/remove
package operation in Synaptic. On low powered machines its just too I/O
and CPU intensive to be of much use for the small benefit of having a
slightly more expanded package search capability.

--
sktsee