[xubuntu-users] New laptop, Xubuntu and UEFI

Neil Winchurst neilwin at drofle.co.uk
Mon Jun 24 07:41:27 UTC 2013

On 24/06/13 04:12, Tyler Longren wrote:
> All seems good. Writing this email from Xubuntu on my x55c. Just be sure
> to set your boot device to /dev/sda (the mbr) when setting up
> partitions. As well as ensuring you've got an EFI Boot Partition of at
> least 35MB created.
>
> I have never been so in love with this laptop. Everything just works,
> even wifi.
>
> --
> Tyler Longren
> Phone: +1 515-999-5033
> Pay: http://pay.longren.org/
> Web: http://www.longren.org/
> Google+: http://goo.gl/4g8b6
> Twitter: http://twitter.com/tlongren/

Thanks for that. I note the bit about an EFI partition. However I am
planning to install Xubuntu 13.04 which is UEFI ready, I believe. So I
am going to let it do the partitioning for me. That is, it should find
that Win 8 is already installed and ask me if I want to run Xubuntu
alongside it or to replace it. I will choose to replace it, to use the
whole disk, thus removing Win 8 completely. So I do not plan to be
setting up partitions myself.

I assume here that Xubuntu will therefore deal with setting up a UEFI
partition for me as necessary. This laptop is going to be a back up
machine in case of a failure of my desktop or the wife's laptop. Also it
will be for testing out new versions of Linux as they appear and
learning to deal with UEFI.

If the above plan does not work I will have to start again and do the
partitioning as you suggest.

Thanks for the help,

Neil