[xubuntu-users] Chrome - browsing Amazon pages

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 21:38:39 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 5:09 AM, Elizabeth Krumbach Joseph
<lyz at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> On Jun 17, 2013 3:55 PM, "James Freer" <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Having read the Newletter today and the impending discussion on using
>> Chrome as the default browser i'm surprised no one else has looked in
>> to this.
>>
>> I found this fault when viewing a number of items from books,
>> radiators and tools. I've reverted to using Firefox for amazon but
>> will stop using Chrome altogether shortly.
>
> I haven't been able to replicate this bug myself. I'm running Xubuntu 13.04
> w/ current Google Chome stable and use Amazon a lot.
>
> But to be clear, Ubuntu (not Xubuntu) is considering switching to Chromium,
> the open source version of Chrome. Which application are you actually using?

I'm using xubuntu 12.04 and Chrome on a two year old desktop. Chromium
i found seemed to have problems with login ID and password - i thought
google had done some 'polishing' to chromium as well as adding their
tracking (which i don't mind) and so decided to use Chrome.

As for the bug possibility it could of course be the mouse i use and
Chrome not getting on too well somehow. The mouse is a Logitech Marble
which although old now works faultlessly with each other application.
As no one else has a problem it would seem somehow it's on my machine.

here's a couple of examples. I noticed several times looking at goods
on amazon.co.uk that i couldn't go back to previous page. It seems to
be if one clicks on the image to enlarge then one can't go back... but
not always the case.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anchor-Hocking-Basics-Litre-Tempered/dp/B0038R0VHY/ref=sr_1_2?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1371590561&sr=1-2&keywords=glass+loaf+pan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NASB-Clarion-Reference-Bible-NS483/dp/1107604168/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371591351&sr=1-1&keywords=clarion+bible

Yet with Firefox never a problem so i rule out that it could be the
mouse or something on this PC. Not a problem i'll go back to using
Firefox which is the xubuntu default anyway.

james