[xubuntu-users] 3.5 floppy drive (internal or usb) and PLoP

James Freer jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 21:51:59 UTC 2013

[using xubuntu 12.04]

I would be grateful if someone could advise whether xubuntu reads the
floppy drive either internal or remote usb. I have found that it
DOESN'T. Ubuntu when i used it back in the days of 8.04 did but i
don't know if xubuntu ever has.

WHY ON EARTH!!!! ... i'm sure will be the cry... should one want to
use 3.5 floppy... i'll explain!

Yesterday a memstick decided to die (only about 6 months ago did
another give trouble), so i have decided to stop using them... it
would seem that the SD cards (and the other sizes) seem a better means
of media storage... todate i have had no trouble with them. For
temporary storage worth using as one can utilise them for the camera
as well when required.

Two reasons for this post
- i want to use an older pc for compiling and testing on rather than
risk messing up my main two year old pc. Its a P3 and although old
actually runs very well... seems Compaq were better made than later
pc's... well i think so looking at this motherboard. But the cdrom
isn't working and it seems new one's aren't available (and of course
*buntu isos have gone over the CD 700mb limit. It does have a 3.5
floppy.
- i was thinking of using PLoP on the 3.5 floppy (which is available)
and then installing from the remote usb or remote usb DVD sata drive.

So is this possible and why does one use unetbootin to put the iso on
usb if using PLoP. I can't see why one can't just copy the iso to the
usb as PLoP provides the boot. [Suppose the other excuse for this idea
is the fact that i've got five 3.5 floppy drives so it wouldn't hurt
to use a one or two instead of gathering dust]

thanks
james