[xubuntu-users] xfce4-power-manager

Steven Rosenberg stevenhrosenberg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 21:55:17 UTC 2013

I used to have this bug in Debian Wheezy with Xfce, and there is a way
to solve it.

The key was using xset, but there is some unknown (to me) startup
script that changes the xset settings after boot and before the
desktop is done being prepared.

My solution was to use a Bash script at startup but to put a delay in
the script so the xset settings I needed were made after that unknown
startup script did its thing.

Here is the blog post I wrote on the problem:
http://stevenrosenberg.net/blog/desktops/Xfce/2013_0109_xfce_screenblanking_fix

And here is my script (which has a whole lot of comments):

#! /bin/bash
#
# The purpose of this one-line script is to use the xset
# utility to turn off screen blanking on my Debian Wheezy
# desktop under Xfce 4.8.
#
# This script is not needed in GNOME 3 but is helpful in Xfce
#
# The sleep command pauses the script for 200 seconds
# so it can be used in the Xfce Session and Startup utility
# without the xset parameters being reset by other login scripts
# that load afterward.
#
# Monitor DPMS power-saving features are set to 0 -- turned off --
# so xscreensaver can manage the display instead
#
sleep 200
xset dpms 0 0 0
exit 0