[xubuntu-users] DVD burner not loading new discs

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 10:52:14 UTC 2012

On 09/01/2012 01:36 AM, James Freer wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Ric Moore wrote:

> Am i following the "Sin of Stupidity"

Nah! You're good!

> One annoying thing with linux is occasionaly there is an app like this
> one that is worth installing from the alternative desktop so there are
> more dependencies than one would like. But it's certainly not the rest
> of kde... 'runtime-kde' is installed i noticed.
>
> I see little difference between functionality with Xfburn and Brasero
> but they do seem to have trouble every so often - each xubuntu release
> seems to switch between the two. k3b is what i call a 'mature' app -
> widely used and doesn't have problems that i know off.

It's funny, for awhile k3b was broken and cursed, so everyone headed off
to use Brasero. Then it broke and the tide receded back to k3b. It seems
they trade places in the heart and minds depending on which runs
reliably at the time, routinely. At least we have the choices!

A good question, IMHO, is ignorance seeking to be overcome. No ~trace~
of stupidity there. I salute you sir.

Just checked and to install k3b it drags in nepomuk. Sorry, won't have
that. You don't need to reference/catalog/database the entire install on
your machine to burn a simple CD/DVD. It also drags in phonon, and I
already have alsa and pulse installed, so I hate when they do that,
adding another sound server to the pile. I have no clue why they just
can't use pulse and not re-invent the wheel. Scruum. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html