[xubuntu-users] update-manager not on any of the menus and can't be put, there? (Andy Proctor)

Mark Trickett tiberopoulos at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 09:57:57 UTC 2012

Message: 1 Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 20:50:41 +0000 From: Andy Proctor
<xubuntu.list at gpshelp.co.uk> To: xubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com Subject:
Re: [xubuntu-users] update-manager not on any of the menus and can't be
put there? Message-ID: <50B13321.9060406 at gpshelp.co.uk> Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed On 24/11/12 18:56, Knute
Johnson wrote:

>>> No, this can be done with user privileges.
>>>
>>> I did edit my menu with Alacarte (the app for "Main Menu") and I
>>> experienced that I couldn't edit all entries as wanted. I couldn't
>>> uncheck some, but delete them, I also couldn't add some apps that I
>>> deleted some time before to the same menu were they were before, instead
>>> I had to put them to the sub menu "Other", deleting the cache indeed
>>> didn't help.
>>>
>>> :(
>>>

>> I found a bug for this.  It is specific to Xubuntu.  alacarte writes
>> the menu file to the wrong name on Xubuntu.  I just copied my
>> ~/.config/menus/applications.menu file to xfce-applications.menu file
>> and it now works fine.
>>
>> It is supposed to be fixed in R(can't remember) and they said there
>> was a fix in Quantal proposed but I can't find it there. The work
>> around is OK for now I guess.
>>
>> Bug #1069207
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> Dear Knute, this workaround solves it, many thanks! I look forward to
> the fix in a future release, till then all good!
>
> Andy

I ran into this just last night. I noticed that there's an update to
Alacarte (the software that is the menu item editor in Xubuntu 12.10)
and it's been accepted into Pre-Release Updates Proposed. So, in
Software Sources/Updater, I enabled backports, ran an update, and it was
fixed.

Mark