[xubuntu-users] Several issues with Quantal, especially with Evolution

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Nov 16 02:08:04 UTC 2012

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:24:06 +0000
"Joshua O'Leary" <jmoey139 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bad background colours and formatting problems are because evolutio
> doesn't support CSS and HTML styles properly. It always has been more
> bloated than other apps, I would recommend something like Thunderbird
> instead. As for lock screen do you have xscreensaver installed? Check
> its settings and see if running xfce4-screensaver gives errors. Joshua

On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:28:31 +0000
Joshua O'Leary <jmoey139 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry that command should be xflock4 not xfce4-screensaver

Thank you!

Apologize, my mail isn't well-worded. I already used several versions
of Evolution for Arch Linux and Ubuntu. Evolutions maildir is on an Arch
Linux install and Evolution from Ubuntu Studio Oneiric and Precise
share this mails, so on my machine are 3 versions of Evolution working
as expected. Sharing mails with Mozilla MUAs in the past wasn't a good
idea. However, HTML isn't an issue, since I usually receive plain text
mails only. The window color is the background color for mails.

Yes, for the test user lock screen does work, for the original user it
doesn't and there's no output (FWIW I checked by using the tab key
what's available):

spinymouse at qrc:~$ xflock4
spinymouse at qrc:~$
spinymouse at qrc:~$ sudo xflock4
spinymouse at qrc:~$ xf
xfce4-about                   xfce4-notes-settings
xfce4-session                 xflock4 xfce4-accessibility-settings
xfce4-notifyd-config          xfce4-session-logout          xfontsel
xfce4-appearance-settings     xfce4-panel
xfce4-session-settings        xfpm-power-backlight-helper
xfce4-appfinder               xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu
xfce4-settings-editor         xfrun4 xfce4-dict
xfce4-popup-directorymenu     xfce4-settings-manager        xfsettingsd
xfce4-display-settings        xfce4-popup-notes
xfce4-terminal                xfsinfo xfce4-keyboard-settings
xfce4-popup-places            xfce4-terminal.wrapper        xfwm4
xfce4-kiosk-query             xfce4-popup-windowmenu
xfce4-volumed                 xfwm4-settings
xfce4-mime-settings           xfce4-power-information
xfconf-query                  xfwm4-tweaks-settings
xfce4-mixer                   xfce4-power-manager
xfd                           xfwm4-workspace-settings
xfce4-mouse-settings          xfce4-power-manager-settings  xfdesktop
xfce4-notes                   xfce4-screenshooter
xfdesktop-settings

Now I notice that the xfce4 meta package isn't installed. The package
will install desktop-base, gtk2-engines-xfce and tango-icon-theme.
Installing it doesn't change anything. When I try to close Evolution,
just a "not responding" window does appear and allow me to close it.

I forgot to mention that for Precise and Quantal I get empty
"goutputstream" files with each shutdown and this already happened
before I removed pulseaudio.

spinymouse at qrc:~$ ls
-al /media/spinymouse/precise/home/spinymouse/.goutputstream-*
-rw------- 1 spinymouse spinymouse 0 Nov 15
08:00 /media/spinymouse/precise/home/spinymouse/.goutputstream-4RN0NW
-rw------- 1 spinymouse spinymouse 0 Nov 15
10:44 /media/spinymouse/precise/home/spinymouse/.goutputstream-I3FYNW
-rw------- 1 spinymouse spinymouse 0 Nov 15
20:34 /media/spinymouse/precise/home/spinymouse/.goutputstream-NNHVNW

Excepted of some software I add and excepted of removing pulseaudio and
building a kernel-rt, used in addition to the default kernel, it still
is a clean install and I already had those issues when it was really a
clean install. When using Ubuntu I usually remove tons of unneeded
packages, resp. when using Arch I simply don't install them, but until
now I nearly kept everything as it was after a vanilla install.

Regards,
Ralf