[xubuntu-users] Upgrade advice

uteck theuteck at gmail.com
Thu Nov 8 20:36:28 UTC 2012

You can install the PPA from a terminal with:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10

Or go into the sources settings in the software center and add:
ppa:xubuntu-dev/xfce-4.10

The update the system, then upgrade it.

The PPA page is at https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/xfce-4.10
You can find most PPAs by googling the application name and PPA.

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM, James Freer <jessejazza3.uk at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM, uteck <theuteck at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> 12.10 has XFCE 4.10, 12.04 has 4.8. I installed the PPA for XFCE 4.10
>>> on my wifes 12.04 system and it works fine.  The main difference I saw
>>> was that changing backgrounds automatically is now built in to the....
>>> packages she needs but the stability of LTS.
>>>
>>> I want to standardize all the systems at home on LTS so I only have to
>>> update every 2 years at the soonest.  I let them get out of sync so
>>> each one was at a different version which made the use of
>>> squid-deb-proxy useless.
>>
>> I think i follow what you are seeking.
>>
>> The new 12.10 may not appear that much cosmetically improved. 12.04 is
>> LTS and thus more stable although i've found the non-LTS fine. The
>> thing with linux is that a new release is effectively "locked" with
>> it's compiled apps. The LTS in year two is behind on many new
>> releases... and yet you don't want to upgrade every 6 months. While a
>> 6 month release may not appear that different "under the bonnet" it
>> is.
>>
>> As non-geek my solution annual upgrade... choose October or April and
>> install about a month later when quite a few bugs have been sorted.
>> The cosmetic difference is minor imho.
>>
>> hth
>> james
>
> Sorry may have confused things there! typo error
>
> "The LTS in year two is behind on many new APPLICATION
> releases... and yet you don't want to upgrade every 6 months. While a
> 6 month release may not appear that different "under the bonnet" it
> is."
>
> james

no .sig found
Please restart your browser.