[xubuntu-users] Video players all show black screen

Joshua O'Leary joshua.oleary at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 28 19:09:01 UTC 2012

On 28/06/12 15:50, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Joshua O'Leary
> <joshua.oleary at btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Does the problem occur on all user accounts or just yours?
> Happens in all accounts.  It is interesting though that in my account
> I see this notice as mplayer is starting up:
>
> Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
> libavcodec version 53.35.0 (external)
> Mismatching header version 53.32.2
> Selected video codec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
>
> I never noticed this before, but when it was working, I didn't look, either.
>
> Also, not in my account but another, there are X11 errors for an
> integer value out of range when I go to full screen, but not if the
> scale is left alone.  I don't remember seeing this before, either.
>
>> Also, if you run
>> vlc -v, does it give you any errors in the terminal?
> Yes, many, usually having to do with oddities in the video, but
> they're all coming out completely blank.  One of the reasons I used
> VLC at all was that it had better recovery from video glitches than
> other players.
>
> I'm thinking one of my video drivers or codecs is failing where it
> didn't before, but I have reinstalled everything and they're still not
> behaving as before.

What graphics card driver do you have? (run *sudo lscpi* or *sudo lshw
-c html > hw.htm* if you don't know). If it is a proprietary one then
that can often cause problems (e.g. NVIDIA or old ATI). What errors does
VLC/mplayer give exactly? Mplayer errors can be turned to very verbose
by running *mplayer -msglevel* *all=9. *Vlc should also output some
error/warning messages.
Joshua